Monday, September 6, 2010

Back in the Saddle


I have an admission to make. After moving to MD one year ago this week was the FIRST time I've ridden my road bike. Shameful, I know. I do have a few borderline acceptable excuses including: no bike trails, bad weather, no babysitter, needing my bike serviced, no cycling friends,and the fear of back country roads and back country drivers. I decided to choose the experiences over the excuses and get out and ride. Plus, I really do love it.


Now that we are in our new house, in an actual neighborhood just off of a main road with a bike lane I've finally ventured out. When I say "bike lane" it's more of a wide shoulder. Cars often use it as a turning lane and go-around lane, which validates my nervousness. I feel most comfortable heading out early on weekend mornings when traffic is light. I've scoped out a few other local roads with even less traffic and wider bike lanes. I'm hoping to test one out next weekend. My current route is very hilly so "flatter" roads are also part of my criteria. It's amazing how much sorer my legs are after 6mi up here than 12 mi in FL pushing the same pace.


So far I've done two short rides. One 4 mi and another 6mi. I really do need my bike serviced so I've been keeping my rides short and looping past my house. I also plan to purchase a mirror, bento box and the most obnoxious singlet I can find!

No comments: