Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Starting a program

Lately I have been having some really nice runs with my "running club". However, doing the same mileage every time is getting too monotanous. Also, because of all my other work outs I was missing my Sunday runs. I decided that I need a goal and a program to help me achieve that goal. I chose the Feb. suncoast classic 10k and found a program through Runners World smart coach. Tonight my club met as usual and although it was hard to turn back when my friends were pushing on I decided to stick with my program. They went on to do the usual 5.3 and I did 2, like my program listed. The only downfall to my program is the pace. There is no way I'm going to head out for 2,12:30 minute miles. So I plan to stick to the programs mileage and tempo runs but do my own pace. Tonight I ran my first mile at 10 min and mile 2 at 8min. It was a nice strong, easy run and now instead of dreading my next two runs for the week I'm actually looking forward to them.

1 comment:

J said...

I really like the smart coach programs, but I agree that the easy run pace is a little too easy. I usually just run and make sure I keep it easy and comfortable and see what it comes out to. I try not to let myself get too motivated and do anything speedy! Just stick to a comfortable pace!