Thursday, November 5, 2009

Road Running-No honking please!

Yesterday I headed out on Dares Beach Rd for what was supposed to be 3mi with a few intervals. It turned out to be 4mi with a few hill repeats.

The weather was a sunny 52 degrees. I wore shorts for two reasons. 1: I need a little sun on my legs and 2: I really need to invest in some running tights. Thankfully I was wearing a bondi band, which I promptly pulled down to cover my ears. The wind was in my face and I found myself running at a swift pace just to get my blood flowing and to warm up a bit. My Garmin is still out of commission so I'm not sure of my exact pace. I didn't have my phone either. Yes, I was out running on a busy country road with no phone. I promise to never do that again.

In following a tip from my Runners World magazine, I ran facing the traffic and took my time to make sure I wasn't in harms way when crossing roads/driveways. Running on the road alone was not as intimidating as I thought it may be. The shoulder was a lot wider than it looked from driving by and I felt there was plenty of room between me and the passing cars. However, the honking from the occasional passerby was a bit annoying. Especially since I didn't have my ipod. Earphones work as mufflers from the blaring air horns on wheels. There aren't a ton of runners on the road like in FL so apparently seeing a runner out in the cold is reason for celebration.

To all you honkers out there. A wave will suffice.

1 comment:

christy said...

Great job Shanny!!!