Monday, June 7, 2010

Zooma Week

This is my second week of 1/2 marathon training and I'm also getting some spinning and trainer rides in to prepare for my July tri. The program out of Run Less, Run Faster is very aggressive. Yes, its kicking my butt. My goal is to get ALL the interval work-outs in and gradually increase my mileage. 9 mile runs for week 2 just ain't happening. Maybe I should cut the long runs into two-a-day runs. I'm not sure what the right way is to up my mileage without ending up with an injury. Being that I still have 16wks to go, that should be plenty of time to build up to the distance. After all, it's not like I'm trying to win the damn race. I just don't want to crawl across the finish line ;)

Week in review:
Mon-off
Tues- 10min warm-up
12 x 400m
10min cool down
teach 1hr yogilates
Wed- 30min trainer ride
Thurs-off
Fri- 3mi hill run
30min bicep burn-out
Sat- off
Sun-race

Sunday was the zooma Annapolis 10k& 1/2 marathon at the naval academy stadium. My soon to be new neighbor and new runner friend Jenny was also registered to run the 10k but ended up having to miss it. I was bummed my new friend couldn't join me but there's always next time! My friend Sarah from high school was also planning on running the race and her mom and friends were walking it. Sarah was a runner in college so as you can imagine she's super fast and could have easily ran the 1/2. I was happy to run with her but hoped I didn't totally ruin her race experience with my slowness. She assured me she didn't care how much we walked and was just there to have a good time. Thank god! I may not be the best runner but I'm always up for a good time. It was really nice to catch up with my old friend and not be stressed about my time. I knew this race would be difficult since I haven't been consistently running and although I'd done intervals for 5 miles I hadn't actually run 5 or 6 miles straight in a while. Also, I am not exactly used to the hills yet and I knew I was in for it when at the first bend was a hill followed by many more. Running down beautiful main street and Annapolis is gorgeous...hilly as hell...but gorgeous. Then I saw a guy with a "To the bridge!" poster with a huge arrow in the direction we were all headed. All I could think was awww shit, this is gonna suck. I was right. Needless to say we walked that bad boy and to be honest I didn't feel the least bit guilty. After all, I was planning on running down. My run down walk up plan worked well especially since my heart rate was through the roof. I think taking my inhaler an hour before really messed me up and as usual, I was not at all hydrated enough and it was HOT, HOT, HOT. Even though I didn't have a stellar run time I still had an awesome day. The course was beautiful with plenty of water/ultima stops and tons of spectators throughout to cheer you on. The entire event was very organized with really nice race shirts, bags,and a silver sailboat necklace for finishers!
Ashley and Drew after the kids fun-run. Ash took 3rd overall!! Matt said she took off like a rocket and didn't stop til the finish line. Woohoo!!


Tyler having some pita bread while Sarah and I enjoy a glass of champagne! Yes, along with the lunch (vegetarian included) there was wine and champagne provided by Barefoot wine and bubbly.
Matt did a great job of corralling all the kids for the morning and dealing with their hunger and heat complaints. However, photography is not his forte. He did take more pictures but they didn't come out. In the bottom pic you can see the necklace they gave us.
I will definitely add this to my race schedule for next year and vow to actually train for it!

2 comments:

n/a said...

Nice job girl! Hills are NO FUN so I give you big props for conquering your new training terrain! Big congrats to Ash and I love the Tri-A-Licious shirt! Whoot!

christy said...

Girl, those hill runs are nothing I am use to as well. I about died this weekend in Atlanta running 3 miles of them. Just finishing would have been my goal as well. Great job!