Thursday, January 21, 2010

Gloria Estefan? You gotta be kidding me

I've attended three spin classes at my new gym and I've yet to be impressed. In FL I took and taught spin often and I can say that it makes a huge difference when the instructors are actually cyclists.

Class was supposed to start at 6:30. The instructor didn't show up until 6:40 and when she arrived she told us to warm up. Warm up?! What do you think we've been doing. I figured since we started more than 15min late she'd just have class go to 7:45. I was wrong.

After the instructor talks to the newbies, gets all her stuff organized, shoes on and eventually mounts the bike she finally cranks the tunes. song #1 Gloria Estefan! I almost jumped off my bike right then. I knew right away I was going to have to make the most of this on my own.

It wasn't ALL bad. The music did improve, a little something for everyone. The instructor was really sweet and had a great personality but the ride was all over the place. We did tons of jumps and when I tried to stay in sync with the instructor she had more rotations in the saddle than out. Explain that one to me?? I just pushed as hard a gear as I could the entire time, took 1/2 as much recovery time as most of the class and made the most out of the climbs. I can say with 100% certainty that as tri season gets closer and I get in better shape classes like this will not be in my schedule. We will have a workout room in our new house with a treadmill, trainer, etc and I will most likely cancel my gym membership.

As I've said before. I miss the Y!!!

2 comments:

n/a said...

Hilarious! I'm surprised you didnt just start class after 5 minutes LOL

If you have a TV/DVD in front of the trainer, definitely get a Spinerval DVD workout. Closest thing I've found to a Shanny spin class ;)

Unknown said...

Nothing is worse than having somewhat of a level of expectation and it doesn't even come close. Had that happen in yoga once.