Saturday, January 9, 2010

Myth Buster

There is a myth in the exercise world that running makes you lose weight. It does not. Running alone will NOT make you lose weight and in fact adding miles causes a increase in appetite, which can actually make you gain weight! I agree that this is unfair and a total injustice. The truth hurts people.
After years of working out, running and triathlon training I know that in order to slim down a bit I'm going to have to watch what I eat and increase my cardio. As obnoxious as it sounds my problem is that I often don't eat enough. I'm not a big eater by nature and even though this probably doesn't sound like a problem to you it is most definitely a problem when it comes to training. Food equals fuel and fuel equals energy. To help improve my eating habits as well as consume my alloted daily calories I've decided to follow the Flat Belly Diet.

This diet includes a 4-day "cleanse". I am omitting that from my plan. Drinking nothing but ginger water is not only unrealistic but let's face it, that's not exactly optimum fuel for runners. I am also starting the intermediate 5k program from my "Run Less, Run Faster" book, at least one spin class or tour on the trainer and two kettle bell/weight lifting work-outs for my weekly work-outs.

2 comments:

runperryrun said...

Are you running Gaspirilla? I have framed poster from that race dated 1985. It must be a great race. I wish you luck!

The Devlin Family said...

I need to update my race schedule for 2010. That's my 2009 schedule. I wish I was running it this year but unfortunately I won't be able to since I now live in MD. I ran it the past two years with my really good friends and it is an awesome race!