Friday, January 25, 2008

3 miles? Nah Let's do 9!!!

That's not exactly how it happened but pretty close. We decided last week to make Thurs. our long run instead of Sundays. However, after my terrible Tues. run I was thinking a few more days of rest til my long Sunday was looking pretty good. But, as soon as we headed out last night we were all feeling pretty good and 3 just felt like...well, just 3?? At what would of been our turn around point we decided to keep on truckin. Since we had planned our long run for the week to be 8 we opted for that route(root) LOL! Teresa is our navigator(she has the Garmin) she also is great at keeping us on pace. She suggested our extended route and let's just say her calculations were a little off. At approx. a half mile from my house(the starting point) we were at 8.5!! TERESA!!! It's a good thing I love ya girl. Actually, I felt great and even said I could go farther, we sped up too. Well when we got to my house we were actually only at 8.7. I'm thinking well, that's good .7 over our goal. Oh, no. "At this point we may as well run 9." The voices of my evil running partners. I had to run PAST my house not once, but TWICE!!! It was psychological warfare. (I shouldn't of sped up at 8.5, damn my ego) Despite the fire burning in my knees and hamstrings I actually felt great. A little nauseous, but great! I got in and iced everything, took a hot shower and slept like a baby! This morning believe it or not I woke up pain free and actually looking forward to my 3 miles on Sunday.

This is my longest run ever and I couldn't have gotten through it without my running girls. Teresa the navigator(no she's not fired), Christy the motivational speaker("you love these long miles, you do") and Barb the silent weapon whom always shows up injured or not ready for anything!

3 comments:

n/a said...

LMAO Your post was hilarious - I was laughing out loud!

Well, I may have the watch but I sure as hell don't have the math skills :o) At least we don't have to figure out a 9 mile "root" next week.

Looking forward to Sunday!

J said...

Congrats on the great run! I am glad to hear your knee is doing much better.

By the way, take it easy on Teresa. As Mark has learned, the higher your heart rate is, the worse off your math skills are.

Sarah Kathryn said...

Yeah, running math doesn't count ;). Everyone goes numbers-stupid after mile 2. It's a sign you're training right!

Congratulations on 9 but most of all, congratulations for not waking up with a longest-run-ever "hangover"! Not that I'm surprised, you are one strong girl!