Sunday, October 28, 2007

Creaky Bones 5k

Before I can can talk about the race I should explain the events leading up to the race. First of all last week I taught bodyflex 5 times! Including an 8am class yesterday before the race. Right after bodyflex I had to run all my saturday errands and then race home to get the family up to Drew's last soccer game. After the game was their pizza party. Note to self: Don't eat pizza and then run! We raced home from the little party to meet my friend Angel at my house and load up for the ride down to Sarasota. Angel being the smart cookie that she is bought all the kids new toys for the ride so it was pretty peaceful.
Once we arrived Angel and I raced over to get our packets leaving matt to navigate with all the kids. The kids then got their packets and we were all set. The race started 10 mins later. Nothing like making it at the last minute. Unfortunately the kids runs were at the same time as ours so I missed watching them. They both did really good and had a blast! Ash ran a 400 and Drew ran a 200. They got awesome t-shirts and treats and can't wait to go again next year!
Angel and I had a good race but not a great one. First of all, the slow people and WALKERS!!! lined up in the front forcing us to be in the rear. This part was not very organized and people were pissed. When we first started one lady yelled out " I can walk faster than this!" Very true. My first thought was well, there goes any chance of a good time. It took us atleast 5 MINS to navigate through the slow people. Probably a little longer. The first part of the race was very narrow and people were running down the middle of the sidewalk instead of staying to the left like they were told. There were a lot of people that ran the first mile and walked the rest. Why they didn't just sign up for the 1mi fun run? I have now clue. We used a ton of energy sprinting around the slow people, trying not to go into the road and saying"excuse me, coming up on your right/left". We were thinking "move your ass!" We finally had a good pace going and the views were beautiful. Most of the course was right on the water and it was cool and overcast, aka no sun. Unfortunately, at mile 2 I got a terrible side stitch (pizza induced) and had to walk for a little bit. Not too long. We finished the run and had an overall good experience. Our final time was 32 mins, which at first I was mad about but then we remembered that if it weren't for navigating through the slow people we would of come in under 30 mins. Overall this was a really fun race for everyone.

2 comments:

J said...

32 minutes is great considering! That is so irritating when people line up wrong. With strollers. I hear you on the side stitches...

The Devlin Family said...

I really think a big part of my side stitches is my diet. I have to get serious, atleast on race day!