Sunday, October 21, 2007

I hate mornings!

I think you are either born a morning person or not. I don't think it's all in my head, due to the environment, or laziness. It is not in my DNA to get up early and hit the pavement. At 4 am when Tyler wakes me to play musical beds it begins. I stare at the clock making deals with the devil to avoid my run. Either it's my long week of work outs, a sewing project to finish, a sick kid, something to avoid the run. Once I'm asleep I usually have a running related dream. Such as, not being able to find my running shorts or only having one shoe or sock. However, I am not a quitter so I get my butt out of bed and leave my excuses to sleep a few more hours.

I started off strong with the mindset that the quicker I run the sooner it'll be over. I actually wore my watch this morning and between the watch and the ipod I was busy the whole time. My first mile and a half I completed in 13min, which is pretty good considering the time of day.( I'm much faster at night) When it came time to turn around and head home I decided to do sprints since I missed my interval day this week. Bad choice. By my fifth sprint I was ready to puke. I managed to work it out and jog home at an easy pace.

I don't know why these morning runs are so difficult to me. I hope that I can train myself to adapt and embrace the am runs but I have my doubts. Every time it feels like my first day running. This is very frustrating but I'm bound and determined to figure it out and get over it!!

4 comments:

J said...

I promise promise promise that it gets easier to get up for those runs. I am not a morning person either, and for years I always worked out at night. Sunday is the only day I get up early to run, and it has gotten easier over the past few months. Don't give up!

Amy said...

Hi Shannon!
Saw your link on Jenny's blog...and I can really relate to that feeling of every run feeling like the first one! The big hurdle is simply getting started...
Keep on keeping on!
Amy

The Devlin Family said...

Thanks. I appreciate the encouragement. I need all the help I can get!!

Sarah Kathryn said...

Sometimes it's like reading a twin sister's blog when I read yours ('cept we're not identical, you are the younger prettier more athletic twin, LOL). But I can SO relate to the early morning run thing. When I tried for my first marathon I got up SO early. I had to - my training partner's husband had to leave for work by 6:30. I hated, hated, hated it, but I loved getting home at 6:30 and having 2.5 whole hours before school started. You'd think this would inspire me to continue, but no... I was going to get up early this morning to run but NOPE. Ugh.

Jenny should make us get up. I'll even buy the megaphone so she can stand by our windows and bellow us out of bed. Think that'll work!?