Friday, October 26, 2007

Side stitches!!

My newest running related issue is side stitches!! What a horrible feeling. I can accept the fact that when I get a cramp in the area of my injury I have to take it easy. But, when I'm feeling good and all of a sudden get a terrible stabbing pain on the opposite side I'm dumb founded. To back track...A few months ago I was doing back handsprings in my yard with the kids and pulled my right transverse abdominal, yes the whole damn thing. I had an ultrasound and basically they said it didn't tear but was a giant mass and I had to work through the pain to help release it. Ice and Ben Gay. Thanks a lot doc. Oh, and it may never be 100% again. Man, getting older stinks! It is getting much better and usually only flared up after teaching a lot of pilates. Running actually seemed to help!

I've come to the decision that my stitches are coming from what I eat. Crap! So now I'm on a health food kick. I'm trying to write down everything and the nights I have good runs I try to eat the same things the next time I run. If it weren't for my love of cheetos this would be a perfect plan. My friend barb gave me a book and I'm researching all my options to improve in the area of my poor diet. Unfortunately cheetos aren't considered a necessary food. Says who???

1 comment:

J said...

Food, caffeine, citrus fruits, breathing, blah blah blah. Yeah, there is always an "answer" to side stitches, but nothing has worked for me yet. I say have your Cheetos. (Just not right before a run)
:)